Our local lefty is promoting the Tea Party loss, but was it really a Tea Party loss, or a win by the Republican elites? Details are in the Independent Journal:
When the facts are considered in the slim victory that terribly flawed Democrat Terry McAuliffe had against Ken Cuccinelli, it’s hard to deny the conclusion that the Republican party decided it was better to abandon Virginia to the Democrat party than to allow the Tea Party and social conservatives to win.
- The Republican National Committee spent three times as much in 2009 on the same race as they did this year.
- The Chamber of Commerce spent one million dollars in the last Governor’s race, and not one dime on Cuccinelli.
- While it’s often claimed that Tea Party candidates do poorly among independents, Cuccinelli actually won independents by 9 points, 47 percent to 38 percent.
- “McAuliffe outraised Cuccinelli by almost $15 million,” and in the last weeks of the campaign, this left Cuccinelli with nearly no media exposure.
- Even Politico wonders if Cuccinelli was beginning to turn the tide against the “War on Women” narrative, as he drove down McAuliffe’s lead among women from 24% in polling to 9%.
In the last month, Cuccinelli’s claim that the election was a referendum on Obamacare started closing the gap for him – the continuing debacle of Obama’s signature legislation was taking its toll on his opponent. But ultimately, he couldn’t close the gap without help.
Help that disappeared in the last weeks of the campaign, and could have pushed him over the top.
Rest of the article is HERE. This was not a Democrat win, it was a win for the Republican elites all to defeat the Tea Party and conservatives.