You Were Warned AB-32 Was A Business Killer

We learn this morning that one of our favorite breakfast and lunch place is closing.  The Union has the story:

After six years in business, Valentina’s Bistro & Bakery will be closing its doors on Friday afternoon.

Valentina Masterz, the restaurant’s owner and namesake, says that the high cost of utilities is largely to blame.

During the warmer parts of the year, Masterz says that air conditioning can drive her power bill as high as $3,900 per month.

My emphasis added

Which local business is next?  During the Prop 23 debates we pointed out that AB-32 was going to be a business and job killer, as it was designed to raised the cost of energy to make renewables economically competitive with fossil fuels.  In the EU they have discovered AB-32 style going green regulation are destroying the national economy and have reversed course. The question is will California political leadership buffoons come to their senses before more local business are forced to close due to high energy costs.

This entry was posted in AB-32, Climate Change, Jobs and Economy, Weather. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to You Were Warned AB-32 Was A Business Killer

1. Dena says:

If the power bill is high because they are on a time of use plan, a possible solution would be to install this http://www.ice-energy.com/ice-bear-energy-storage-system

2. Bonnie says:

The huge electric bills are the reason DeMartini RV decided to go solar big time so they could be self sufficient. Tim is also doing the same with his home. He really put a lot of effort into it.

3. Sean says:

And don’t forget the effect of the drought. The state gets 15% of its power from hydroelectric (close to 25% in some northern counties). http://www.sacbee.com/2014/02/04/6125877/drought-cuts-into-states-hydro.html Couple that with the loss of nuclear capacity and you’ve lost 2 of the biggest baseload non-carbon emitting sources severely constrained. Under normal circumstances natural gas is 3x hydro’s cost. Will there be any relief from AB32 for extra natural gas power generation due to the drought?

4. gjrebane says:

Let the record show that sadly but proudly both Jo Ann and I still display our support of Prop 23 bumper stickers on our cars. Prop 23 was our last chance to defang the then obvious fraud that AB32 promised to become for Californians. That promise is being kept in spades.

5. Dena says:

If I were there, I would do a quick energy audit of the place. I have a 2000 square foot house in arizona – all electric and the highest power bill was $250. They may have a defective meter, the wrong plan, need insulation, need kitchen venting or some other problem. For that type of power bill, they could afford to drag in a generator and make their own power.

The big scam here is a peak power plan where they nail you with the highest rate at the hottest time of the day. If you are at work, that plan can work out but if you are stay at home it’s a total bust.

• Russ Steele says:

The building is a multi-tenate building. They face south, with huge windows in the front of the building. They have shades, but I found the noon time the place is very warm. Table in front of the building a impossible to use. They need a cover of some kind to produces some shade for the table and the windows.

• Dena says:

The heat could be from the window or from the kitchen. I found a big difference in the motor home if I turned the vent hood on when I used the oven in the summer (only did it one time a year). Sometimes the power company will do or recommend someone who can audit the building and suggest fixes that will solve the problem. I have had a number of companies who have called offering their services. I have turned down them down because the house was constructed in 2007 and I know there is little can recommend to reduce my energy consumption.

One of our renters is called The Ice Man and he turns out 300 pound ice cubes for industrial usage and to make snow for the kids. His power bill runs about $10,000 a month so I question why a bakery would have such a high power bill. There is more than one problem and I suspect the window is only a small part of the problem.

By the way, my air conditioner is 4 ton and I will admit last summer there was a day where we had around a 120 degree day and the air conditioner ran 3 hours without cycling but it did maintain the temperature.