California Drought Report #4 – Tip

For years we used a shared well and were always concerned about our water use, sharing in the pumping costs.  We used drip irrigation for our plants and trees in the yard.  The shared pump finally gave out about the time the neighborhood came to an agreement with NID to provide treated water for our homes and yards. That water was metered, and we could gage the amount we were using, becoming even more aware of our water use at home.

Electic potAt our house the master bath is a long way from our on demand water heater in the pantry.  I was using a lot of water just waiting for some hot shaving water.  I solved the problem by buying a small electric tea kettle, and used the hot water it create for shaving and washing up when required.  This reduced our water use by gallons per week.  You might try this option as you seek to comply with the Governor’s conservation measure, that is if your sinks are a long way from the water heater.

This entry was posted in Analysis, California, Drought. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to California Drought Report #4 – Tip

1. Fuzz says:

Russ, you can buy a small thermally controlled recirculation pump that is made to connect with your existing under-sink supply lines. (Sierra Pipe in Auburn has them.) It includes a button that mounts on the outside of your sink vanity. Press the button and water from the hot side will be circulated until it reaches a set temperature and then the pump shuts off. You can also get pumps that mount on top of your hot water heater that circulate the whole house. The under sink pumps cost about $300 for a good one. I’ve thought about getting one and mounting it under the farthest sink from the water heater.

On another note, I see that you use WordPress. This article notes vulnerabilities in WordPress that are being exploited by some bad actors. Your blog probably isn’t the sort of thing they’re interested in but this is just a heads up.

2. Dena says:

Something I have been aware of but never needed is a under the counter hot water heater. They heat a few gallons of water inches away from the tap and allow you almost instant hot water 24 hours a day. Because I don’t need much hot water in the bathroom sink I never considered installing one in the bathroom. I did think about one in the condo kitchen because the run from the hot water heater was so far but in the new house the water runs under the slab so it never gets very cold. Now if I could figure out where to put one for the shower.

3. stevefrisch says:

Not fortunate enough to actually see the show, but happy to use it for effect. Typical.

• Todd Juvinall says:

I thought that was what journalism was all about. We can’t attend so we read about it from trusted sources.

• Steven Frisch says:

Only in bizarro world would Brietbart and the Tea Party News Network be “trusted,

• Todd Juvinall says:

Do you have some proof?

• stevefrisch says:

Here is your proof, the actual source, the link to the interview. Brown is referring to changes in behavior. No where does he say the state is regulating how long you take a shower, he says the state is regulating how much water you get if you get water from a water district, and that may change how long you take a shower.

Both Russ and Brietbart misrepresented what the Governor actually said.

That ain’t ‘news’ Todd, it is opinion. The difference between ‘news’ and ‘opinion’ is news is what actually happened and opinion is what you and Russ prefer to think happened.

I know you guys don’t really believe in facts…..and apparently neither does you supposedly ‘trusted’ news sources.

It is the circle of stupid….source says one thing…biased news source misrepresents it….mindless followers parrot it….they bat it back and forth on blogs….to them it becomes ‘fact’. But really, its a LIE.

• Todd Juvinall says:

Well golly Steve Frisch I listened to your link and I came away with a different view than you on this. At 2:30 on the video, Brown starts talking about what will be disallowed and changed and then goes into how the fines will be handled by each water district and ultimately the State Water Board. So it appears you cognitive level is as high as a chimp on this one.

Russ has it right as does Breitbart. You should be ashamed of yourself for all the lying you are doing on this thread.

• stevefrisch says:

Todd, no surprise to me that you have a hard time understanding the English language, or that your interpretation is as full of shit as you are. I will cunt on the good readers to listen for themselves.

• Todd Juvinall says:

Steve Frisch you sure have a potty mouth don’t you? Reread your post. Lots of Freud in that one. Well, since you seem to have the intelligence of a chimp (sorry chimps) I understand why you are so abusive. When one’s world view is as screwed up as yours, I guess I would be as angry when I don’t win anything but ridicule.

• stevefrisch says:

Childish exploitation of my inadvertent misspelling aside, I stand by my words; your trusted media lied, plain and simple, and you and Russ just repeated it.

• Todd Juvinall says:

You are simply emeshed in your lying kib media and are unable to see the error of your ways. You spelled what you wanted to spell which shows the readers here your chimpish brain.

4. stevefrisch says:

You kind of lose credibility Russ when you mischaracterize peoples statements like this. Governor Brown did not say regulatory agencies would be enforcing limits on length of showers, he said limits on water use would change behavior, and the length of a shower was an example. I watched the show and your way off base.

• Russ Steele says:

Steven, I was quoting ABC News, as reported in the link below. Not my words. Let me make that more clear, who said what.

• Steve Frisch says:

So clearly Governor Brown was not saying people could be fined for taking long showers, he was referencing the point that change would effect people’s lives.

• Russ Steele says:

The Story Headlines have a different take on what the Gov. Brown implied:

[VIDEO] California Gov. Brown’s EMERGENCY Executive Order Calls for $500 Fine for Long Showers
        April 6, 2015 By Colleen Conley writing at TPNN.

• stevefrisch says:

Silly me, I watched the actual program instead of relying on Brietbart and the Tea Party News Network for my “headline.”

The headline in inaccurate, and you just repeated an inaccurate headline because it fits your narrative, which is why you lose credibility when you engage in this sort of mischaracterization.

• Russ Steele says:

I find it interesting that multiple news sites had the same view. I was not fortunate enough to have seen the original presentation. I will have to take your word for the Governor’s intent. Let’s hope you are correct, I like my long showers.

• Todd Juvinall says:

Russ the Governor’s point can certainly be interpreted as a fine for long showers. The water meter at the street will keep track and those that enjoy long showers and who do not make up the difference elsewhere will certainly be fined. Frisch is just his usual self. No one cares what he says.

• Todd Juvinall says:

Oh, and I bet Frisch thinks the story of gang rape at Virginia in the Rolling Stone is really true. And he slams conservative new sources. Sheesh!

• stevefrisch says:

The point I am making is pretty clear…Russ you said, “You could be fined for taking long showers,” then quoted two headlines that did not directly quote the Governor to that effect. All you would need to do it go to ABC news and watch the clip. The Governor never said it.

• Todd Juvinall says:

He did so in a rounda about way. Jeeze are you that much a Brown fan?

5. Russ Steele says:

You could be fined for taking long showers.

Sunday on ABC’s “This Week,” Gov. Jerry Brown (D-CA) said Californians will face heavy fines for taking long showers.

Brown said, “This executive order is done under emergency power. It has the force of law. Very unusual. It’s requiring action and changes in behavior from the Oregon border all the way to the Mexican border. It affects lawns. It affects people’s — how long they stay in the shower. How businesses use water.”

More HERE.

Edited to make it clear who reported Gov Brown’s remarks.