With the Governor’s demand that we reduce our water consumption by 25% we took an inventory of where we use water. Since we built our house in the early 1980s, we did not have low flow toilets. I went on line and looked for ways we could use the existing toilets, but reduce water use. I went on Amazon and found the device on the left, and ordered one to give it a try in our master bathroom, the most used toilet in the house. Well, that was the easy part.
The HYR460 HydroRight Total Toilet Repair Kit with Dual Flush Converter arrived and I put off making the switch for a few days as I thought through the task, including reading the direction. Yes, I read the instructions. On Wednesday I started the project and that is when the problems started.
Installation was straight forward as described in the instructions, but when I replaced the flush lever with the dual mode control button I noted a faint hairline crack in the water tank. During the float valve adjustment phase, I noted another hairline crack starting at the back of the tank. None of these cracks were leaking, however when I turned on the water after the installation was complete, the shutoff valve leaked. I could not discover how to stop the drip, drip, drip . . . from the valve.
We were going to need a plumber to replace the valve on the wall. With hairline cracks forming in the tank, we decided that a new low flow toilet was also in order. Ellen suggested that if we were going to remove the toilet, perhaps this was a good time to update the flooring, which in her mind no longer complemented the shower tile.
This whole project to save some water had become much more complex, it went from a DYI water saving project to involving a hardware store, a plumber and a floor covering specialist. Not my intent, when I started the project.