Disclosure – I have left the County.

I was born in Nevada County in 1938 and grew up there and in Idaho until I joined the Air Force in 1960. I returned to Nevada County after 20 years in the Air Force retiring as a LtCol in 1980 with my wife and four daughters. We built our dream house and became part of the community, serving on various boards and commissions.

I started blogging in August 2004, after tiring of the fight with The Union to get my conservative Other Voices and Letters to the Editor published. Now after 35 years of being back in Nevada County, we have moved to Placer County, were the economy is booming and building is going on every where, unlike the dying communities in Nevada County.

For now I plan to continue writing the Sierra Foothill Commentary, but from a different perspective, from outside the County rather then inside the County. I hope my dedicated 15 readers find that acceptable. If not, let me hear from you in the comments section.

This entry was posted in California, History, Local. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Disclosure – I have left the County.

1. Dave Cranfield says:

If you’re still active in amateur radio, I’m sure you know you will meet some resistance hanging any external wires in Lincoln, let alone a tower mounted Yagi beam. That’s probably going to change next year when the FCC rewrites free access to the airways definitions which will overrule state, county, city and even CC&R’s which restrict or deny visible antennas. Nonetheless, best wishes to you. Perhaps we can score a QSO at some time. KK6JFN

• Russ Steele says:

Dave,

One of my goals is to become more active in amateur radio. The previous owner of the house we bought was a ham and had strung antenna’s around the wood fence. He left one, and the coax coming to the house. I will investigate once we get settled. I understand that the Del Web Community has an active amateur radio club, which I will also investigate. The previous owner left a tripod which is lower than the fence line. I am looking forward to the FCC free access rules change. I have been following the process in QST, and will be prepares to test the rules and the CC&Rs once they are passed. Stay tuned. When I get back on the air will see if we can make contact. KF6TAR

2. sean2829 says:

My old eyes deceived me. On first look I thought you said “country” rather than “county”. From here on the east coast, it almost doesn’t noteworthy to move between counties. I am actually surprised you did not move from Nevada County to the state of Nevada but proximity to family often trumps all else (and appropriately so).

• Russ Steele says:

Our second choice was Bend Oregon. But, being close to the grandkids won the argument, as where to live. We are now closer to family and our chosen medical facility. Grandkids are 6-14 miles away from our house and more than willing to help grandpa and grandma cope with reality.

3. Todd Juvinall says:

Where are you now?

4. Stu says:

Russ,
    Just curious, what was the reason for the move?

• Russ Steele says:

We needed to move to a single story house closer to our children and medical facilities. We use the US Davis Medical Facilities. Both daughters with grand children live 6-14 miles from our new house.

5. Hifast says:

Colonel, your move is approved as requested.